The SMSTS (Site Management Safety Training Scheme) is a five-day CITB course designed for site managers or aspiring site managers. It is designed for those with responsibility for managing, monitoring, implementing and reporting in a construction environment.
The course covers relevant health, safety and environmental legislation affecting safe working in the building, construction and civil engineering industries. It highlights the need for risk assessment in the workplace, the implementation of the necessary control measures, and adequate communication to sustain a health and safety culture in the workforce.
The SMSTS course is endorsed by Build UK as the standard training for all construction managers.
Programme and Learning Outcomes
The course covers 4 modules:
- Legal and management
- Health and welfare
- General safety
- High risk activities
The key learning outcomes covered by the SMSTS classroom course are as follows:
- Managing on-site safety in accordance with the law.
- Managing on-site safety in the context of your management or supervisory role.
- Developing an understanding of your responsibilities for site health, safety, and welfare.
- Recognising that a safe site is efficient, economical, and productive.
At the end of the training programme, you will able to:
- Understand all health, safety, welfare, and environmental legislation that affects your daily work.
- Implement new guidance and industry best practices.
- State your duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare, and the environment.